The-Most-Preventable-Homicide-Carolyn-Camilleri-Spring-2017 (click link to read)
BULLYING IN CANADA
Your child has always enjoyed learning, but lately seems eager to avoid school. Stomach aches and mysterious illnesses pop up in the evening and seem to get worse as the school bus creeps closer to your street the next morning. It’s possible the problem has nothing to do with how last night’s dinner was digested. Your child could be worried sick over a schoolyard bully. read more…
Be Smart About Your Smart Phone
- To be safe, treat your phone like cash. Consider all the personal information you have stored on your phone. What would you do without it?
- Be aware of your surroundings while talking or texting on your phone.
- Keep your phone out of sight unless absolutely necessary; know who is in your space.
- Be alert to your surroundings and avoid isolated areas. Be cautious at bus loops and Sky Train or in areas where an individual can easily escape.
- Be aware of who is around you; if someone looks suspicious, move away.
- Travel with friends whenever possible, or stay within a group.
- To text, stop in a well-lit, heavily trafficked area instead of texting while walking.
What to do if you become a victim:
- Do not resist your attackers; they may be armed and an attack could lead to serious or fatal injury.
- Try to memorize their face, clothing, shoes and licence plate number; if they leave in a vehicle.
- If a theft occurs, have someone call 9-1-1 as soon as possible.
How to protect your smart phone:
- Never leave your phone unattended.
- Password protect your smart phone; a password may seem like a hindrance, but if your phone is stolen, it could assist in its return.
- Download free apps, such as find my iPhone.
- Record the following numbers and keep information in a safe place at home:
- phone serial number
- International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number
- SIM card serial number
- Today’s Cell phones are used the same way computers were used in the past. Consider using anti-malware and other security programs as you do for your home computer. With the introduction of a new app allowing you to pay for merchandise via your cell phone, the need to protect your peresonal information is even greater.
- Be cautions when using online shopping sits such as Craigslist and Kijiji. Criminals use these sites to post smart phones for sale, and you may be buying a stolen phone.